Foreclosure Prevention

Mortgage Delinquency and Default Resolution Counseling

The Fulton Community Development Agency offers free private, confidential one-on-one counseling with experienced HUD Certified Housing Counselors. Our HUD Certified Housing Counselors are prepared to assist homeowners in understanding options, navigate the foreclosure process, mitigate your losses, and avoid scammers.

The longer you wait, the fewer options you may have to save your home or avoid foreclosure. Keeping your home depends on stabilizing your household income, reducing unnecessary spending, and whether an affordable mortgage payment can be calculated.

1. Complete our Mortgage Assistance Intake Form at the following link:

Complete Here

2. Gather supporting documents such as:

  • One (1) Full Months Proof of ALL HOUSEHOLD INCOME (i.e., Most Recent Pay Stubs, Benefit Award Letter for State Benefits – SSI, Social Security, pension, unemployment, disability, etc.)
  • Three (3) most recent Bank Statements for ALL HOUSEHOLD ACCOUNTS
  • Most Recent Mortgage Statement
  • Most Recent Property Tax Bill
  • Most Recent Homeowners Insurance Statement
  • Government Issued Photo Identification

3. HUD Certified Housing Counselors from our office will contact you to discuss your Intake Form and ways to submit your supporting documents.

4. Once all requested documents are provided, you will be schedule for your free private, confidential one-on-one counseling to:
There are guarantees!!
Be Aware of Scams!!
Solutions that sound too good to be true usually are!
BEWARE of anyone who asks for an upfront fee in exchange for getting you a loan modification, saving your home from default or stopping a foreclosure or tax sale. New York law prohibits the collection of such fees in most cases.
BEWARE of anyone who says they can “save” your home if you sign or transfer the deed to your house over to them so you can catch up on your mortgage payments or refinance your loan.
NEVER submit your mortgage payments to anyone other than your mortgage company without their approval.
If you still have questions about where to turn for assistance or if you believe you are a victim of mortgage fraud, call the New York State Department of Financial Services at 1-800-342-3736.

The Department of Financial Services staff can help you file a complaint. They can also answer your questions about mortgages, personal debt and the foreclosure process and can help you find professional help and resources in your area.
File A Complaint
Learn how to file a complaint against a regulated entity by mail, fax, e-mail or in person via the New York State Department of Financial Services.
File A Complaint